The right to love and be loved

Mary casey - Fortworth, Texas

Along with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, everyone deserves the right to love and to be loved.

Earlier this year I met someone. This person made me smile, they made me laugh, and they made me realize how happy I could really be. A few months into the relationship, our lives became too busy and because of many different reasons, we broke it off. I went through a grieving period that very few people knew about. My best friend was my strong arm through out this period, but it still saddens me that my family did not know how happy I had been or how sad I now was. My dad didn’t know- he did not know that her name was Jennifer, and he did not know that I loved her.

I believe that everyone has the right to love. Details such as race and gender should not be a factor. Involved in the right to love is the right to BE loved.

My friends are my family and my family is the number one most important thing in my life. As I mentioned earlier- there are a lot of things about me that my dad does not know about me. He does not know who I am because he does not accept those parts of me that are different than the little girl that he raised. I believe that every person has a basic human right to be loved by their family and to be accepted for all that they are. I may not be the Catholic school girl who wears bows and side pony tails with her polo shirts, but I am still the same little girl that loves her daddy.

I read a quote once that said “be yourself- those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” The truth is- family does matter.

Back to friends- My best friend Whitney is my rock. She keeps me grounded when my head is in the clouds and she lifts me up when I get too low. Whitney is a lesbian. It is very rare that we can go out without being asked multiple times, “Is that your girlfriend?” No, she is not my girl friend- she is my best friend in the world. Just last week my grandma asked my mom, “Does Mary-Casey even like boys?” Truth is- yes I do, but I like girls too. Whitney is with me all the time and sometimes I think she knows me better than I know myself. Is it wrong for me to love her because she is a lesbian? Is it wrong for her to love me? No. It isn’t.

Whitney has been next to me through my on again off again relationship with my ex boyfriend of 6 years. She was also right by my side when things went south with Jenn. Whitney has taught me how special real love is and has made me believe, with all of my heart, that no one should be denied this type of love.