Things happen for a reason

Ross - Mason City, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I’m new to the whole This I believe thing but there are a few things that I believe in. The biggest thing is that young adults, fresh out of high-school, are supposed to go on to college and pick the one job they’re going to do for the rest of their lives. If you ask me, that’s a pretty big decision to make as a 17 to 18 year old.

Many times a week, I get asked, “What are you going to do when you graduate high-school?” And my answer is the same thing every time, “I have no idea.” I believe in letting things fall into place and that things happen for a reason. I like to look at my life as a big puzzle. The pieces slowly fall into place and with patients and time, the puzzle is complete. In a few short months, I am going to have to make the big decision on what I’m going to do when I graduate and to this day, I still don’t know.

Eighty percent of college bound students go to college undecided on a major. I am part of that 80 percent and I actually don’t have a problem with that. I want to live life with little worries and let things happen because I believe that things happen for a reason. For an 18 year old guy/girl to graduate high school and set up what they’re supposed to do for the rest of their lives is a huge decision that many times doesn’t work out like they had planned. So instead, I’m going to live my life how I want to and let my puzzle pieces fall into place.

“Life is too short, and the time we waste in yawning never can be regained”1. I like this quote because it fits in with my paper perfectly. If you spend your time doing things you don’t enjoy, just remember that you will never get that time back, so spend your time wisely.

1. Stendhal’s quote