Mitchell - Mason City, Illinois
Themes: nature, sports

I believe in hunting. Hunting is a way of life and tradition. Almost everyone in my family hunts or has hunted at sometime in his or her life. I started hunting when I was only eight years old. I still remember the first time my dad took me. It was in late November early in the morning in a corn field with grass ditches running through it; we were pheasant hunting. We were walking for about three minutes and that was when the first pheasant got up. I missed him the first time, but nailed him the second time, my dad came over and gave me a high-five and said, “good job son” I was so excited.

Now that I am older, I have moved on to bigger and better hunts. I hunt everything there is to hunt in Illinois, from raccoons to deer. I believe in the adrenaline that you get every time you go hunting, even if you don’t see anything. I believe in the honking of a goose call, the quacking of a duck call, the gobbling of a turkey call, the sound of a pheasant and quail royal flush, the chirp of a morning dove, the barking of a squirrel, and the grunt of a big buck. I believe in the hunting dogs. Watching dogs work and being so interjected when they get onto a scent trail, and then watching them retrieve a bird from the thick grass or through rough water after you shot it.

I believe in the early mornings of getting ready for the big hunt that awaits you, the long drive to where you are going, or the long boat ride to your blind, and the setting up of your decoys and the feel of the water around your waders. I believe in the working of ducks and geese over your blind. Just watching the birds work is a majestic thing, it’s something you should witness at least once in your lifetime. Hunting is also a way to get to know someone better. When you’re side by side in a blind or a tree stand you really get to learn and know more about the person you are hunting with.

I believe in Mossy Oak, Real Tree, Under Armor, and Scent Lock hunting products. I hunt with these brands because you can’t let the geese to see you before they even come in and you pull your gun out on them.

Hunting is a work of art; you never know what is going to be painted on your canvas. You never know when, or where you are going to run into that big tom turkey, that monster buck, or that big flock of geese. You always have to be ready and paying attention at all times. You need to make the perfect shot every time. I’ve learned the hard way. I have wounded many deer and never been able to find them or when I go pheasant hunting I don’t hit the bird just right so then, it lands, then runs, and you can’t find it. Especially when you are bow hunting, you have to take your time and make a good shot. Always take a deep breath before the shot and steady yourself. This is why I love hunting because it’s not as easy as people think it is. When that big buck or big tom turkey comes along, you start shaking really badly, your adrenaline starts rushing, and your heart is beating a mile a minute. That’s why hunting is so fun. That’s why you need to always cherish and remember your time in the outdoors because you never know if you’re going to be able to go again. This is why I believe in hunting