Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid

Kirstin - Mason City, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid

Gossip: talk or rumors about the personal or private affairs of others. We’ve all done it. It can be so addicting like shopping or gambling and I’ll admit it…I’m hooked. I try so hard not to do it, and believe me, it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever tried to do.

I guess you could say gossip has become no stranger to me. Everyday, I become so obsessed and wrapped up in the rumors of who is dating who or who is fighting with who. I didn’t always used to be this way though. I used to be a shy, drama-free girl. I didn’t know anything about anybody…until I got into high school. Now, I’m usually the one everyone comes to when there is new gossip to be told. There are even some teachers that come and ask me about stuff because they know I will know what is going on. It’s sick. Sometimes, I wish I could be that same shy, drama-free girl but what would high school be without all the gossip and drama?

I’ve learned that gossip can sometimes be very hurtful especially when the tables got turned on me. Yes, I have been gossiped about and some rumors have been spread about me. Some, I’m not very proud of at all. All that gossip could have been avoided if people would have come to me first for the real stories instead of continuing to let the untrue stories going around. People just need to learn to confront people. It would make life so much easier. I’ve learned that I need to take my own advice as well. Not only has gossip been hurtful in my life but, it has been hurtful in a lot of other people’s lives as well. I know that gossip and rumors aren’t fun and they can be hurtful. So, why do we do it? To make ourselves feel better? I know that is why I’ve done it before. It feels so good when you get that 10 second self esteem boost. It doesn’t make me or anyone a better person at all. It just makes you mean.

Gossip has never done anything good in my life. It has just caused those countless numbers of endless fights between me and other people. It has even ruined some of my closest friendships with important people in my life. I can’t even tell you how many rumors I have passed around and around, again and again. All that happens when I do this is someone ends up hurt or I come out with the wrong story. That makes me look really foolish. Half the time, I do come out with the wrong story and I usually end up in this entire he said, she said mess. It’s so stressful!

As far as I’m concerned, gossiping will never end. I would be a hypocrite to tell you not to do it. But, the next time you want to talk about how ugly that girl’s sweater is or how weird the new kid is, think before you speak because some things are just better left unsaid. This, I believe.