Oblivious to the Signs

Leigh - Marysville, Ohio
Themes: love, question

Oblivious to the Signs

On February 10, 2008, I met the love of my life, or what I thought was the love of my life. Seth was six feet three inches tall, with a strong muscle build, and piercing hazel eyes. He immediately caught my eye in my tour group at a college visit. Seth and I made a connection right off the bat. He gave me his phone number, which eventually led to us dating. I was excited for our relationship and the events to come, but I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I believe that love is blind.

Seth and I had a wonderful summer together enjoying trips to Cedar Point amusement park, boating on the lake, and watching movies. Fall rolled around and we planned to attend separate colleges about forty five minutes away from each other. I was not worried about the distance but Seth was. After four months, Seth started picking fights about anything and everything. He did not approve of the close relationship I had with my dad, since his with his dad was not healthy. In Seth’s eyes, I was never skinny enough, my hair was never blonde enough, and my eyes were the wrong color. My parents expressed their dislike of Seth right away, but I loved him and I was determined to make it work.

School started and I got to see Seth about once a week. We both had a heavy course load and we were involved in athletics. I was always discouraged to visit Seth’s college; he would rather drive to mine instead. One weekend in November, I made the trip to visit Seth. We had a great time during the day and went out with some of his friends later in the night. A few hours later we went back to his room and found two girls standing outside. The girls were staring at me but did not say a word. Finally, one of the girls stated she didn’t know Seth had a girlfriend and walked away. Seth said it was nothing but I left that weekend feeling very confused.

I had a fear that Seth was not being faithful so I did some research. I got a hold of one of the girls from the awkward night. She explained to me that Seth had never told anyone that he had a girlfriend. I also was told that he had been unfaithful to me with five different girls.

I confronted Seth and at first he denied everything. Eventually, he admitted that he had not been faithful. I was crushed but then realized I had loved someone who had not loved me back for most of the relationship. I was sure that Seth and I would make it work but I should have listened to my loved one’s opinions.