Feeling without Feeling

Robert - Urbana, Ohio

Feeling without Feeling

There I am making sure everyone swims and plays safe. I look down because one of the swimmers is trying to splash me and I just look down and smile. All of a sudden I hear a scream, loud crack, and then a splash. I quickly look over and someone fell off the diving board, on to the cement, and slipped into the water. I swiftly blew the horn, alarming everyone to get out, and I dove into the cold clear water. As I was swimming very vigorously to the helpless person, all I could think of is what if he is dead, what if I don’t make it in time, and what if he is too big to carry out of the water? All that didn’t matter because as I got close to the body I started to see blood forming in front of my eyes in the water. As soon as I saw the blood something clicked in my body, something phenomenal. Everything seemed faster, clearer, and easier. When I got close enough I grabbed the guy by his shorts and pulled him up above my head and started kicking as hard as I could upwards towards the surface so if he is alive he can get air before me. I finally got the body out and I rolled him over on the cement. I quickly jumped out and saw that he was not breathing. I automatically reacted by giving the man CPR. People were crowding around trying to see what happened. As I was giving him CPR he threw up in my mouth. When this happened I knew I revived him. I walked away because I was shocked I have not absorbed the moment yet. His mother was crying and thanking me and all I could say was “Hey, no problem”. This is the feeling without feeling, adrenaline. Without adrenaline I wouldn’t of been able to get to the persons aid as fast as I did. With out adrenaline I wouldn’t of been able to put a one hundred and ninety pound person above my head and onto the cement. Without adrenaline maybe that person would not be alive today. I believe adrenaline is the supernatural strength everyone has when they are provoked. A quote from Charles Lindbergh states adrenaline perfectly he says “It is the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without the plane.” To me this is explaining the things we always dream of ourselves doing such as skydiving, bungee jumping, saving some ones life, winning millions of dollars, and many other things. Without adrenaline many more people would be among the deceased because when some ones life is at stake adrenaline flows through our body like the ocean. Adrenaline is the supreme energy booster and that’s why I believe in adrenaline.