Do not find your place in life, make it

Benjamin - knoxville, Tennessee

One day my mom and I sat down to talk about my future plans of relocating to another state. As supportive as she could be, she gave me positive and negative feedback. I, being a big tattooed monster, mentioned that I needed to find my place in life, somewhere where I would be accepted and can work a good job. She then said something to me that I haven’t stopped thinking about since our discussion. “Do not find your place in life, make it.”

The world is a cruel one-dimensional society that is very selfish to its culture. We live in a, “my father did it this way, so this is the way it should be done,” world. It’s sad to think of how many great people have been held back by such ignorant standards. It’s ok though, because we all can make a difference. When I volunteer down at the homeless shelter or pack meals for the elderly, the community seems to take notice. Picking up a piece of trash from the side of the road can also help change the world. It’s good for the environment, but also paves a brighter future for the world. When we lend a helping hand, it motivates other to do the same. Like one big chain reaction. Everyone is unique and beautiful in their own way and has the potential to make life grand. It is so sad that misery loves company.

I once felt guilty for the way I looked with all of my tattoos, thinking that I was a huge embarrassment to friends and family. If someone one can’t love you for who you are, then why wish for their love?

It is so important that we do make our place in life. We can start molding the world into one big open minded society. I recently saw a bumper sticker that said, “When the followers lead, the leaders will follow.” Leaders aren’t just politicians. There are leaders in schools, restaurants, churches, etc. Once we put our feet down and throw our fists into the air, the world will change. Embrace your surroundings and make the best of life. There is no “I” in world. This place is ours.