Be who you are, Not how you feel.

Kiersten - La Mesa, California

I believe that people really are who they act they are. They are not that way just towards one person.

I was recently hospitalized for thirty three days due to an illness that was extremely hard to diagnose. Being 21 and in the hospital for such a long time can become very depressing; especially when it was supposed to be my first semester at SDSU, something that I had been looking forward to for such a long time. I am glad that I can say that something good came out of this whole situation. I learned a life long lesson that I will never forget

You know how there are those people that are just not very nice people? Well sometimes we think that they are just mean to us because they do not like us. That is so untrue. I had wonderful nurses throughout my hospital stay. However, there was one male nurse named Brian that was not very friendly and was very rude and abrupt when I would ask for my medication. I expressed this concern to a male nurse who I really enjoyed, his name was Frank. When I told Frank about my concern, he looked at me with deep compassion and said “Kiersten, he’s that way to me too, that’s just who he is.” It wasn’t because he didn’t like me or because he was frustrated due to my requests, that is just who he was.

That simple sentence and realization has changed my life forever. At times I am rude and mean to people either because I am in a bad mood or just don’t feel like being nice. When I Think of how people look at me and want to know who I am, the last thing that I want them to think is that I am a stuck up or rude person. I want them to look at me and think to themselves, “Wow, that girl is really nice; I would like to get to know her.” Even if it is just a smile that you give to someone, that is all that is needed to brighten someone’s day just a little. Act like the person that you are, not the person that you feel like at any given moment.

So the next time that you run into someone and don’t want to be nice. Think of Frank, and think of the great message that he gave me to live my life by.