I Believe in Laughter and Tears

Anne - Bethel, Ohio

To me, laughter is the best form of medicine. There are a lot of people who would agree, but in contrast I also believe that crying is the best form of medicine. You might stop here and wonder why I think that crying is a home remedy of sorts. Well I’ll tell you why. I cry all the time. It doesn’t mean that I’m always sad or upset; I cry when I laugh. It’s kind of a running joke with my friends and I. “Oh look, Anne’s crying again.” The difference between tears of sadness and sorrow and tears of joy and laughter is all in the crier’s perspective. I recently had a large argument with a friend that resulted in me being reduced to tears. I felt many emotions at that point and time; sadness, relief, hurt, and more. I was astounded by the comments that the friend had made to me, I was called terms that I had never been called in serious conversation before. I was physically and emotionally upset, but you know what? After I dried my tears I felt better. It was like the tears were part of a wave of relief that needed to face over me in order for me to see the big picture. Sure, by the end of the argument I was short one friendship, but I didn’t break off the relationship completely. We share the same classes, campus, and friends; there was no way that I could break everything off entirely. But knowing the way I felt after I had cried helps me get through the tough days; I can still put on my smile and let the tears flow when I start laughing. I can take the comments made about me and turn negativity into laughter because I won’t let it keep me down. I’ll admit that there are going to be times where crying isn’t going to make anyone feel better, at funerals or goodbyes. But I also know that, for me at least, crying will always be the home remedy for “those days” when I feel like no one is on my side. I believe in tears.