The Best Things in Life Come Quick

Anthony - New Carlisle, Ohio

The Best Things in Life Come Quick

When I got the call that Monday afternoon, I dropped as if I had a ton on my back. The news that one of my best friends tried to end his crippled me. I couldn’t talk, move, or blink. Everything was in slow motion. I felt like I was in the middle of a dream. The truth of the matter is I wasn’t dreaming.

I believe that a real friend will drop everything that he or she is doing and will come to the aid of their friend. I know that I did. That Monday when I received that call, I drove home as fast as I could. Nothing in this world was going to stop me. As soon as I got there, I ran to be by the side of my friend. When I got there, I was in awe with what I saw. The sight of my friend fighting for his life tore me in half.

From the moment I got there until late Tuesday afternoon, I was sitting with his family to hear if he was going to make it. The minutes felt like hours and the hours felt like days. We waited on days end to hear from the doctors the latest news. I was his only friend waiting there to see if he was going to make it.

I felt it necessary to be there and wait it out with his family. I know that if the tables were turned that he would do the same for me. I know that he has many friends, but not all of them are going to drop everything and come to be with him. Timothy James Rigel is a brother and I would do anything for him if I found out that he wasn’t going to make it, it would feel as if I lost a member of my immediate family.

True friends are like scars, they are there forever. I know that Tj is not going to remember anything, but I know deep down inside that he knows that I am with him every step of the way. Tj and I are like Batman and Robin, Calvin and Hobbs. Without him, I am a single beat. Together, we are a pair that is just meant to be. True friends will be there no matter what. God himself could not stop me from being with Tj. I hope that you would do the same to one of you best friends.