Changing Lives By Volunteering

Kimberly - Santee, California

As a full time student, time is not something I have a lot of. So, it is important to spend my free time wisely. The way I choose to spend the free time I do have is by volunteering. I began doing volunteer work at age thirteen, and still continue today. I have worked for several different organizations all very different from another. I have helped elders and also animals. No matter the type of work I do, I feel I am bettering my life. I think that by helping people I can feel good about my life. Volunteering is something I enjoy very much, and the only benefit I have is the feeling I get from doing it.

The first place I volunteered at was a senior center. Twice a month I played games and watched television with them. Most of these people did not have visitors come to see them very often. When I would leave and see them wave goodbye and smile, I knew that the time I spent with them meant something. They were bringing joy into my life and it meant so much to see that I was bringing that to them as well. I also volunteer for Mother’s Against Drunk Driving. I feel this is an important organization and I want to take part in putting their message out. The work I do is either at events passing out flyers, or working at DUI information classes. At these classes I hear victims’ stories and also those who have been convicted of this crime. Hearing these stories makes me want to spread the word so much more. It is an important issue and something everyone should know about. When I give someone information about the dangers, I hope they will remember when they are thinking about getting behind the wheel. I hope I am able to make a difference in someone’s life. The most recent organization I started working for is the San Diego Humane Society. Through Petco they sponsor an adoption center. Every Tuesday I go in and clean out the cats’ cages. Although this is not the most pleasant or fun job, it is important for the cats to be clean so they will be adopted. Animals are so helpless and it breaks my heart to see a cat living in a cage. I am so thankful to the families for providing a better life for these cats. I also am excited for the cats to be getting a home.

All this volunteer work I do is not to earn hours for school or community service. This is something I choose to do with my spare time. I feel I have a lot to give and if I am able to give my time then I should do it. I believe that by helping others and bringing them happiness in turn is making me happier. Volunteering makes me feel I am living a better life.