Follow No Footsteps

Trevor - Maryville, Tennessee

Follow No Footsteps

Growing up in Maryville City Schools I learned a great deal about people. All the way through school, there were always the different “clicks.” At Maryville High School, for the most part, you were either popular and had money or weird and had no money. I was the kid, who came from an average family, but I was an only child so, therefore, I was extremely spoiled. At school, I fell into the wealthy, popular click due to how I appeared. I was not really aware of how I was “classified” at school; however, I did know that I was who I wanted to be. I wore t-shirts, hoodies, jeans, shorts, sweatpants, Air Force Ones, or sandals. I didn’t care if I matched or how my hair looked. If I liked what I was wearing, that’s what I wore. Every day I went to school just like the other thirteen hundred students at Maryville High School. I had a variety of different friends with different incomes, names, races, and genders. However, I didn’t think about what click I was in or what any one person thought about me; I simply thought about me, Trevor White.

Over the years, being my own person has provided many benefits for me. I have had the opportunity to experience a large range of events and activities. My friends from the area I lived in influenced my decision to race four-wheelers, allowing me to earn money as well as recreation. Through racing, I met some guys who snowboarded and wake boarded. That winter I began snowboarding and haven’t stopped since. I also started wakeboarding, the following summer, behind my boat with family and friends. These are just a few of the many benefits I have experienced. I have also been “around the world” participating in a variety of activities including baseball, basketball, rugby, wake skating, skateboarding, and merely relaxing on the beach. Being my own person has allowed me to meet numerous people from many diverse cultures, but, most importantly, it has allowed me to live my life free of all the worry about being someone else.