Not Just Another Day

Jenna - Upland, California

The sweet scent of a rose is not something I have always been able to describe, nor was it a familiar fragrance I could even recognize until recently in my life. Since I was a young child, my life was full of go, go, go and hurry up we’re going to be late. My day began with morning swim practice which would result in a quick turn around and off to school. After school, I would head home, grab a bite to eat and then off to gymnastics. After a three-hour gymnastics practice it was straight to soccer or volleyball. This routine became so ingrained into my daily lifestyle that I couldn’t fathom the idea of slowing down and even frowned upon those who would set aside time to relax.

I felt as though the way I was running my life was normal and that I was only maximizing my time, however, little did I know that my busy life would be forced to come to an immediate halt as result of an unexpected injury.

It happened my junior year in high school and started out with shooting pains down my left leg. I didn’t think too much of it, just that my body was tired and sore from another day of countless practices. It wasn’t until my legs gave out from underneath me that I felt like something could seriously be wrong. I fell back upon one of strongest people I know, my mother, and it was an easy decision, I needed to see a doctor.

After several physical exams and x-rays later, my doctor had concluded that my spinal cord was twisted. Thankfully, it was caught before surgery was necessary, but it was an injury not to be taken lightly, and would remove me from any physical activity for many months.

It was at this time my mother tried to lighten the situation by expressing a very common phrase I never fully understood up until this point in my life. She turned to me with a slight smile and said “Well Jenna, looks like you will finally have some time to stop and smell the roses.”

At this time I was not too keen on here sense of humor. I felt that my days ahead of me would be wasted, spent full of boredom and nothing being accomplished. However, I could not have been further from the truth. It was the time I spent during what could have been a devastating moment in my life to get know myself and who I was inside. As my injury began to heal and I could participate in minor physical activities such as walking through the neighborhood, I realized how lucky I was to have caught this before it turned into something detrimental.

For the first time in my life, I enjoyed the time I spent relaxing, and promised myself that from here on out I would take the time to slow down and be at peace with my surroundings.

This is why I believe that we should all enable ourselves enough time to stop and smell the roses.