Well Worth Sharing a Room

Jacqueline - Virginia Beach, Virginia

A poet once wrote, “Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.”

I believe that a sister is more than family she is also a friend. I was seven years old when my sister Maddie was born; little did I know what life altering experiences I was in for.

The sun barely touched my face as I sat staring out the window patiently awaiting the arrival of my new sister. The anticipation of meeting her overwhelmed my thoughts and left me fearing change. I thought to myself, “Great, now I don’t get my own room;” something a naive seven year old would think. Throughout our childhood, I caused fights and blamed everything on her. On a daily basis, my mom would scream “Jacqueline!” only to hear the same response, “Maddie did it, I swear!”

As I grew older, I came to the realization that Maddie idolized me, supported me, and most of all loved me. No matter how badly I treated her, she repeatedly tried to take part in my life. She persistently asked me to spend time with her whether it be watching television or walking to the park. Her devotion to our sisterly bond convinced me to appreciate her rather than blame her for everything. Although I grew appreciation for my sister, we didn’t relate much until she started school and experienced homework, fashion, and boys.

One day when Maddie was twelve, she confronted me regarding a school dance. She asked my advice on what to wear. In an instant, we were fumbling through my closet for the perfect outfit. I came across a dress that I had worn at a prior occasion, a purple sundress with a bow on the lower back. We looked to each other and said, “This is it!” For the next few hours we played dress up, deciding on the right accessories. This was a big step for me in understanding Maddie as a person. Helping her get ready for the dance made me realize she was like me when I was her age. From then on, our relationship grew and I started enjoying more of the time spent with my sister.

These days, my sister is the one person who truly understands the looks I give when I want to leave, who understands the signs I make when I think something is completely ridiculous, and who makes me feel as if I wouldn’t be the same if she was never there. When I look at Maddie, I see myself seven years ago, thinking, wondering, and complaining, but most of all growing – growing into something strong that continues as we get older.

My sister Maddie is my Mini-me. She is the only person I share my heartfelt laughter and tears with. As sisters and friends, we can overcome anything. Now I am twenty-one and she is fourteen; I still think back to the day Maddie came home for the first time and realize it was well worth sharing a room.