With a Little Help from My Friends

Marcella - San Diego, California

I believe in the power of friendship. My friends have become very important people in my life, especially my life long friends. My little sister, who I consider my best friend, has also helped me through some rough times in my life.

I remember growing up in elementary school; I had one “best friend” for every grade, but those friendships never lasted. Either they moved away or would move on. Some friends had turned their backs on me, and at that time, I didn’t understand what it was like to have a reliable friend or what true friendship meant. Because of this experience growing up, I learned not to depend on friends. It was not until I entered junior high where I met people who were trustworthy and dependable. It was there where I met two girls who, to this day, I am still good friends with.

High school was a tough four years but as far as the social circle, I didn’t have a problem. I was not interested in befriending the “cool” kids or getting in the “in crowd.” I had my own friends who I wouldn’t have traded for anybody, which was a new feeling for me. Friends came and went but some remained in my life during high school. It was those friends who helped me deal with the changes in my life such as, academic pressures and family problems like my parent’s divorce. My friends tried to tutor me when they could or they encouraged me when I was giving up. My sister and I turned to each other for comfort during the stress and changes that came from our parent’s divorce. If it wasn’t for their support during these negative times, I don’t think I would have handled or dealt with these stressors in a healthy manner. It was through their positive attitudes and understanding and patience that have taught me to be the person I am today. I learned to trust people and not be so judgmental of others or abandon friendships because I was no longer around them. My friends and I have been going to different schools for years yet we still find ways to see each other and we are still there for each other.