Life-Saving Deaths

Brian - St. Marys, West Virginia
Themes: death, family, purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. On July 8, 2007 my whole family on my mother’s side, had a life changing experience. This was caused by two of my cousins, Courtney Evans and his son Sawyer Evans, being killed in a three car accident, which was all the cause of a drunk driver. Now everyone knows that death is inevitable, but everyone should have the chance to live their life to the fullest. This didn’t happen in the case of my two cousins, but I feel that their deaths have served a huge part in possibly saving other’s lives.

My mother’s side of the family was and still is a drinking family, and I know that most of them have driven under the influence. The deaths of my cousins have made our family realize that maybe one of us could have killed someone the same way my cousins were killed. Probably the person that this has affected the most is my mother’s brother Donnie. Donnie was the father and the grandfather of the two that were killed. He in his lifetime has had two DUI’s.

I also feel that this will have an effect on everyone who is close to our family and even everyone who has heard the story in the news and in news papers. The story was huge all over the state of West Virginia. The trial of Brian Stone, the drunk driver, was all over the front pages of news papers and in the news on all channels.

Brian Stone did not only kill my two cousins, he also killed a father and two daughters in another family. The other family was virtually wiped out, the only survivors were the mother and a son. Which is the same with my family, my cousin’s wife Sheena and their son John were the only survivors in our family that were in the wreck.

In conclusion I believe that everything happens for a reason. The deaths of my two cousins have had a huge effect on my mother’s side of the family along with everyone who has seen the story in the news. Hopefully this will show everyone what one drunken individual can do when they are behind the wheel of a car.