Sentimental Value Means More Than Money

Charlotte - Madisonville, Tennessee
Themes: death, family, legacy

Many families have sentimental ornaments that they keep because they feel it’s priceless. The ring my father made has become one of my most treasured possessions that I own. He made the ring from silver that he had bought for making jewelry, and one Christopraise crystal. Though he made the ring for himself originally, he decided different otherwise.

Before going to Houston, Texas to go back to work, he decided to give me the ring he had made so that whenever I knew that I needed him, he would always be the closest to my heart. Then when I was afraid, I would know that he would always watch me no matter where I might be. When he gave me the ring, he placed it upon an old chain until he would return. Exactly one month after he gave me the ring, he lost his ability to control the left side of his body and found out that he had advanced stage four lung cancer. Though I was really distraught to find this out, I still felt like he would be alright and that everything would eventually blow over.

He started radiation therapy, and then the doctors switched him to Knoxville so that he could be closer to my and my family. From the time he was diagnosed till the day he died nine months later, he slowly lost his weight from being a healthy 180 pound man to a 98 pound man whose closest resemblance reminded me of a concentration camp victim of Auschwitz.

To this day I keep that ring in the same small music box I did back then. When I get sad or lonely, it helps me remember the times before the cancer and gives me new light through the darkness. Throughout my experiences with keeping the ring, I have found that one thing will always be true. Sentimental value means more than money, no matter how much I may want to leave the ring behind because of the memories that I hold upon it, I don’t think that I ever could. No matter my most desperate of situations, I could never let go of that ring because I never want to forget the special person who made my life feel free and meaningful, my dad. Though I possess many other memories of my father, the one thing that I can always remember is that he never let that ring off of his finger or my sister and me out of his sight. For many people they have only one sentimental thing, but for someone else it means the world because you never know when that will be all you have left.