I Believe In Being Real

Kelsie - Knoxville, Tennessee

I Believe In Being Real

I believe being real means to be genuine, authentic, and unwavering in one’s core values, in spite of any situation that you may be in. Children are always born real. Their love is real. Their tears are real. Their anger is real. However, somewhere along the line, most people learn that they must alter their self image in order to be accepted by their family and their friends. I believe being real, when in relationships with family and friends, is the best way for me to conduct my life.

In today’s media-driven world, magazines and television create a façade for how people should be. Even though we are all unique individuals, it is difficult to resist the barrage of influence that we get from advertisers and our peers. A great example of this goes back to high school when not being in the right “clique” meant that you weren’t cool or popular. People dressed, talked, and acted in certain ways to be accepted. The day after high school graduation, none of this was important any longer.

I believe most people are desperate to have something real in their lives. If you think about it, most of us are drawn to real people. An example of this would me my favorite English teacher from high school, Ms. McNeeley. She was honest and she was a good role model. She treated her students with respect as well; this motivated me to want to do well in her class. I believe when friendships don’t work out, the result is experience. Even though it may be a may be a bad experience, as we grow and mature, we learn what we are really looking for in relationships. I have found since graduating from high school, my close friends are people that I can trust and who accept me without being judgmental.

I believe the old saying, “To thine own self be true,” is the way that I want to live my life. It’s not always the easy road, and it requires constant self-analysis, but the further away you get from your true self, the more dysfunctional life becomes. The core values I have learned from my family and from my faith have made me the person I am today. My goal is to positively improve that person each day, month, and year for the rest of my life.