I Believe in Shiny Things and Puppies

Jeffrey - Torrington, Connecticut

I Believe in Shiny Things and Puppies

I believe in shiny things and puppies. I believe that the ability to be easily amused is a gift. If you can look at something shiny, colorful, or cute and just kind of smile, then you will always be able to cheer yourself up. I believe that we, as humans, have turned life into something it wasn’t intended to be. As you go through the systematic approach of a society it’s hard to realize that a fundamental clichéd line is true. The best things in life are, in fact, free. This is a truth that I dedicate my life to and so far, have felt no need to change it.

I am lucky to have found a couple of the keys to happiness. The first key is, of course, my girlfriend. Now that I’ve dodged that bullet, the other key I hold dearly to is, simply, simplicity. I’m not one to take that as far as to forsake my material possessions. Nor would I suggest that you do the same. I feel it’s important to know what it is that you want and to strive to achieve that without much worry of overdoing it. Since I was a kid, I have always found a primal fascination in the field of shiny objects and cute furry animals. I am not ashamed to say this as it is a truth. I realize that in all practicality and logical usefulness, me seeing a shiny object or a puppy from afar should make no difference in any course of cosmic or universal events. However, whether or not I see a cute little puppy hopping along with a bright puppy smile as he tugs his owner further down the sidewalk just a little bit faster than the owner intends to walk makes all the difference in the world to how my day goes and has a strong exponential effect on the happiness of the immediate following events.

Just as strongly as I hold to this belief, I am not so naive as to think that shiny things and puppies should be the main focus of life, but that these are the smallest forms of kind of true inner happiness that you must recognize in the objectives and goals that you truly should strive for, be this through getting a puppy of your own with a shiny collar, or through finding someone you love and raising a family. Personally, I intend to do both, but it is up to you to find what would make you happy. This happiness is true because it is instinctual. It requires no training to be felt. As infants, it’s easily seen that we hold the natural ability to be entertained by our simple environments. I simply choose to hold on to this ability. I claim usefulness in what many forsake with age.

I also strongly believe that this is easier said than done. Our society shows us what “happiness” is. It shows us that we need its fashion, cars, soup, cookies, creams, make-up, and other trinkets through its advertisements. But let me ask you this: How do these advertisements communicate these needs to us on our billboards and televisions? That’s right. They show us their products up in bright and colorful and shiny lights. They tap into our inner primal desires and try to trick us into feeling that if we buy their specific shaving cream, that we are buying, through association, the comfort and entertainment that comes along with our love of shiny things.

But before I begin to rant, I feel it better to keep it simple; to enhance the message before I dilute it. Keep your goals simple and in clear view by just knowing what it is that you want. If shiny things and puppies can be so universally known as cute and entertaining, there might just be a secret to be found in their hidden powers.