For Better or For Worse

Kathryn - San Diego, California

Marriage is something that is often overlooked in today’s society. Instead of tying the knot, couples are choosing to keep their options open. With almost one half of marriages ending in divorce or separation I’m not surprised it’s becoming less popular to say “I do.” However, I am someone who truly believes in marriage.

Monogamy is a huge aspect of a marriage and I believe in being committed to one person for the rest of my life. It’s important to have a relationship that is built on trust because without it a marriage will never work. I learned this lesson at age 12 and it was around that time that I realized I never wanted to end up like my parents.

My parents’ relationship puzzled me and made me question why they were even together. I remember days of fighting echoing throughout our house and me praying for them to get a divorce. But this never happened. Some days we were the perfect family, a family even my friends were envious of. But at home behind closed doors, I knew the truth. I knew that their relationship once full of life and love was now empty and that staying together was a constant struggle.

I’d like to say that something changed after I left for college, that things got better and that my parents were in love and happy again. But in reality some things never change. My parents are still the same and now I am an adult and grown up, the one with marriage in the near future.

I look forward to marriage with great anticipation and I know that it is not all romance and happy endings. Marriage is something that takes a lifetime to perfect, this I have witnessed firsthand. There are hardships and sacrifices of course, but those are the things that make a marriage stronger and I am eager to begin that phase of my life. I know my parents’ relationship hasn’t been the best model to follow but through them I have learned what it truly means to be with someone “for better or for worse.”