Walking the Earth

Jennifer - Merrill, Wisconsin
Themes: morality

My experiences in life have been limited and for that I am grateful but sometimes I think that this causes me to not know the true meaning or feeling of sadness and prevents me to rate it on a scale of my peers. The one story that caused tears to pour out of my eyes did not even happen to me; some may not call it a big deal at all, yet it affected me greatly. My cousin almost died at the age of sixteen from selfishness.

My cousin’s parents had divorced one year prior to the phone call. My mom picked up the phone as I was walking out the door and her face fell. I stopped in the doorway and so did my heart. My cousin had been cutting herself before yet this time was worse. My aunt told my mom that my cousin had cut herself so deep she could have been killed. Luckily my cousin was so scared that she quickly grabbed a towel to stop the bleeding.

I guess a sense of loneliness or vulnerability fills the heart and there is just no escaping it. I wouldn’t know. Love comes so easily to me and I feel almost pity to those who do not have what I’ve always had. I’m not by any means saying that my family and I are better than other families or that divorced families do not work out for the best; I’m simply stating how I felt when my mom’s face dropped and my heart sank that day she got the phone call.

Being a religious junior in high school, I see the different lifestyles of students passing through the hallways that, most of the time, do not revolve around what is right in the eyes of God. I see the different paths students take to try to escape from the problems in their life. I see that it consumes their world and I hate it. I hate hearing about a student in my class who is in the hospital because they felt the need to drink and drive. I hate hearing about the guy who was dumped and decided to take his life, or the girl who falls off her chair in class because last hour she took prescription drugs. I hate hearing it, seeing it, living through it. I especially hate how people do not realize that the greatest miracle is to be here, walking the earth.

You don’t have to be the smartest person, have the most fabulous looks or even have the greatest family; those are not miracles. The miracle is living on this earth and not dying from life’s wounds but showing them off as battle scars. That’s a miracle worth living for.