Frailties of Life

Jon - San Diego, California

For me, the way 2005 ended was the best way it could have been to end a year an begin a new year. I did not realize that enjoying such pleasures would lead to a new year filled with a lot of chaos. I was a person that didn’t have to worry much about life. I knew what I wanted to do and I was going to aim for it.

When 2006 hit, that’s when all the bad happened. It started with my family and I finding out that my grandpa has pancreatic cancer. Hearing that really freaked me out because I didn’t want my grandfather to die. I cared about him a lot since he was the only grandfather I got to know. I later found out that there is no treatment for it. That’s when I knew that he is going to die and there is nothing any doctor could do to save him. After finding out about that, I found out that I was on academic probation. I was freaking out about that, because I did not want to get kicked out off SDSU. Being on academic probation made me realize that biology was not the major for me, because I was not going to make it with all the chemistry classes I would have had to take. Since chemistry is not my strong point and nothing I would ever get. I decided that I needed to change my major to something that I could do and have fun doing.

A few weeks after finding out about my grandpa dying, I ended up breaking my ankle. I broke both bones in my ankle practicing martial arts. I had to get surgery to put my ankle back together with a metal plate. I could not walk on it for 4 weeks and I was reduced to rolling around in a wheelchair around campus. Which was not fun for me at all. I started to freak out because I had no idea how I was going to survive this semester with all this going on in my life. I was told that most people in my situation would have given up with school. I decided that I was not going to do that. I told myself that if I believe in my self I can achieve whatever I need to, to cope with what was going on in my life.

This is where my motto of where if I believe, I can achieve came from. Having this mantra helped me to strive to do the best that I could do to succeed. I did ended up passing the semester with good grades. After realizing what I had accomplished dealing with such hardships I decided that anytime life gets rough that I will just follow what I believe so that I can make it through whatever.