The Evil Side of Rules

Joann - Denver, Colorado

The Evil side of rules

Joann O

“Don’t talk.”

I have learned not to believe in rules. One of the rules I absolutely dread is the “Don’t talk rule.” In my opinion it makes no sense at all. Especially when used in school. You have to communicate to learn and I know we get loud but that is still no excuse. It is not our fault that teachers are stressed {well sometimes its other kids fault} but we still need some freedom.

“You can’t do this, you can’t do that, until you’re older.”

I think that would be another rule that kids hate and parents adore. I especially hate it when they tell me that even when I am old enough. For example, when I ask them a question such as, “Mom can I sleepover at my friends house?” Mom’s response, “Not until you are older.” “Mom can I go to the movies with a couple of friends?” Why bother ask I already know the answer, “Not until you are older.”

“Don’t lie to me, tell me the truth.”

That rule gives me goose bumps, especially when my parents give me this “look” while saying it. That is why I hate it. Everyone lies {well I do, only when needed} and when my parents use this “certain rule” I get this feeling in my tummy and all my lies rush up to my head and I feel like fainting. Sometimes when my parents say that I feel like telling them the truth but I don’t and later {like real later} the sick feeling goes away and eventually I forget all about it. I’m not saying that it is okay to lie I’m saying that sometimes you need to lie to get out of situations, like really hard situations. One of the times I lied was when I accidentally broke my sister’s favorite toy and I knew if I told her it was me she would be furious so instead I made this little white lie and told her it was the dogs fault. Of course she believed me and she forgot all about it. I know you shouldn’t lie but sometimes you need to.

“Do your homework before you watch TV.”

I know that many parents use this rule on their children every day. My parents do but only when they remember {which is like once a month} but when they do use this rule I hate it. Imagine you get home from a long day of school and you may want to relax and watch some TV. Just then your parents come in and say, “Have you done your homework already?” I have friends that have parents that say that to them every single day. If I get upset when my parents say that to me which is like once a month imagine the kids that have parents that say that to them every single day. Now that is one rule I will never believe in.

“Do your chores.”

That is a rule in my house hold. I have friends that don’t do chores. I also have friends that always do chores. I have many chores like cleaning my room and the kitchen or living room. I know that you need to do chores but that is one of the rules that persuade me in to having no rules. I don’t think kids should have to do chores, instead they should be doing fun stuff that they actually like to do. We’re still kids and I’m not saying that we shouldn’t do them at all I’m just saying that they our parents shouldn’t be putting so much pressure on us to do them. Doing so many chores just makes me upset and I will never believe in the rule “Do your chores.”

As long as I live I will always believe in having no rules. We need rules but not all