How Ballet Changed My Life

Tawnya - Avondale, Arizona

I believe that setting goals is the key to accomplishment. I first learned this lesson through ballet. When I was three years old, my mother enrolled me into dance class. It was an opportunity that I am eternal grateful for. I didn’t know it at the time, but it has had a great impact on my life and work ethic. I learned right then that the harder I worked the more positive feedback I got. Then I started telling myself I wanted to be better at my sport.

At the age of 9 I gave myself a deadline: in two years I wanted to be an intermediate dancer. I started taking more classes until finally I reached my goal and I realized how good that felt! So, I decided it was time to start another goal. It is the ultimate goal for a young ballerina; I had to start point ballet by the age of twelve. During this time I learned a lot about life. I also learned that just setting a goal isn’t enough. Other factors, like money, often get in the way. I was told by my teachers that the only way I could reach my goal was for my mother to give them money we did not have. I would not except that answer and I found a way around it. Determined to meet my deadline my mother and I found a new studio that expected me and I did achieve my aspiration and so much more. Once I realized that it was very possible for me to get what I really wanted out of my life, the goals I set expanded out of the dance realm and into other areas of my life.

Dance has taught me about setting goals, hard work and also to think outside of the box. I am happy to say that because of the discipline I put myself under as I young girl, my career has flourished. Not only that, but also to every aspect of my life that I set goals to. Setting goals and hard work is the key to accomplishment.