Inspiring Words

Din - Greensboro, North Carolina

“The most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well” by Pierre De Courbertin. Growing up, my father would always sit down with me and my sibling and guides our thoughts through his speech. He talked of being humble, goal oriented, considerate, respectful, and the overall elements that would motivate us and help us in life.

As young as I was, I didn’t really understand the many things that my dad was trying to teach us until my mid teens just before he became ill. When I began high school, I enjoyed school and I was stress free. Then 10th grade came around and I was more outgoing and school started to give me a hard time, no worries, until I got my grades. Then I had to show them to my parents. I know that they were expecting the regular A’s and B’s but this time I had C’s. I was terrified when they asked but I had no choice; I was prepared and waiting for the disappointment but instead I was comfort. To cut it short, my dad said I didn’t have to be the best of the best, but to get better than where I was and handed me 20 dollars, that I wasn’t supposed to get as an award for achieving.

Sweet 16 came around and I was moving on to 11th grade; I took my dad’s understanding and I wanted to prove to him that I could do better so I got into AP classes, I was struggling but at the same time enjoying it, my dad says hard work pays off and that was what I was going for. I wasn’t sure if he really saw me struggling but what he said to me made me think so. He explained to me about aging, he said when you hit 16, it will probably be the best year of your life, you have no worries and you have some rights, at 17 that’s when you’ll begin to grow, you’ll have worries and you’ll start to think ahead, at 18 that’s when all the worries hit you in the head and will continue on through life. A year later my dad passed away. From there I thought everything would go downhill, but I remembered all that he had taught me, and I refused to fall down.

I had no present motivation but the motivation that I remembered from him to guide me through, and because of it I graduated High School and now attending college. Since college life began, I face different tasks and complications, and I know I need something to help me through, so I started catching up on quotes. I believe that quotes are a reminder to achieve, to inspire, to feed courage, to support, to discipline the mind, to challenge, and to motivate because at the end of the day all you got is you.