Forgive and Forget

Shelby - Merrill, Wisconsin
Themes: forgiveness

Forgive and Forget

“No matter how bad something is something good will always come out of it.”

-Nicole L., Age 15. How could anything good come out of death, failure, anything bad? Tragedies affect people everyday and there’s no way to escape them. As I thought more about this quote I realized this girl had a point. Although you may not notice at first, every time something bad happens something good follows.

Every other weekend my older brother and I would spend the weekend with our dad. Our parents had separated when we were young, so this had been our routine for our whole lives. My dad was the kind of guy who tried really hard to be that “number one dad.” The one, who bought his kids everything, was always on time to pick them up, and never broke promises. As my brother and I grew up we began to see that he wasn’t that guy. He didn’t have the money to buy us everything and he wasn’t at every one of my basketball tournaments or every one of my brother’s football games like he said he would. Although it hurt sometimes, in our eyes he was still our number one dad.

January sixteenth 2004, I went to a school dance with all my friends instead of going to my dad’s house with my brother. I wasn’t exactly pleased with him because he told me he wasn’t coming to my basketball tournament again. No big deal, I’d see him tomorrow. When I got home that night my mom told me she needed to talk to me. I began to think about what I did that night; did I do anything I could get in trouble for? As I got up and started walking to the kitchen I saw that my mom had been crying. Little did I know, that five seconds later my mom would tell me that my dad had passed away. They found him lying on the floor in his apartment when they went to drop my brother off. The tears came before I could even try to control them. I felt like someone was choking me. I swear at that moment my heart was ripped out, stomped on, and thrown away.

Through my dads life he had many heart attacks but the last one took his life. I was twelve, only a kid. The thought of never seeing my dad again had never crossed my mind. I believe in the saying “live your life with no regrets,” but I do have one. My one regret is never apologizing to my dad for being mad, never having that chance to tell him I still loved him. Losing a loved one is the worst thing that could ever happen to someone but like Nicole L. said, something good will always come out of it. Although I miss my dad terribly everyday of my life and would do anything to have him back in my life, losing him did have something good come out of it; I realized a lot of things. You can’t live your life holding grudges. People make mistakes and we all deserve to be forgiven. So forgive and forget before you never get the chance.