I Believe in Happily Ever Afters

Catherine - Scarsdale, New York
Themes: hope

I believe in happily ever afters. I believe my life can start with “once upon a time” and end “happily ever after.” However, whenever I read fairytales, where this is always the outcome, somehow the most common adult response to my happy reaction is, “That stuff does not happen in real life. Do not get your hopes up that that will happen to you.” Well, I do get my hopes up. I am going to make sure I do live happily ever after.

It is all too easy for me to get discouraged when a “fairy godmother” cannot bring me a happily ever after right away. But I just have to remember, in every fairy tale, the fairy godmother, bringing success and happiness with just a “bibitee-bopity-boo,” only came to the princess after she had been through a hardship. For example, Cinderella had a horrible life and worked her days away while she dreamed of a better future, and sure enough, the opportunity came to her. The same can be true for me. Ever since I was little, I have dreamt of being like Cinderella every day.

When I was five years old, I asked my dad to read Cinderella to me every night before I went to bed, and I pretended to be like her every day. I loved dressing up and pretending to go to the ball. I loved singing, “A dream is a wish your heart makes” while I played with my dolls. Now that I am older, that ambition to be Cinderella has matured. I know that I am not going to grow up to be a princess and have a prince come and whisk me away, but I still want to embody her happily ever after – I still believe in my old fantasies. Although it comes in a different form – not the literal dressing up and singing – I still use all my efforts to lead me to a happily ever after.

I have learned now that I do not have to rule a kingdom and live in a castle to live happily ever after. I do not have to wait for my “prince to come” in order to start my happy ending. I know there are other ways to live happily. I believe in the famous quote which says, “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” I can start living that way right now, and when it comes my time to part from this world, I will have lived happily ever after.