Seeing Isn’t Always Believing

Nicholas - Huntington, West Virginia
Themes: Christianity

I’ve known a lot of people who only believe something if they see it. They need tangible evidence in order to have their opinion swayed. Well, I think differently. I believe in a God of whom I have never laid eyes on. I have only read or listened to others speak about him and his amazing miracles. Some people would call me crazy for altering my way of life for someone I’ve never met. I call it having faith.

Ever since I was a little kid, I can remember my Mom and Dad taking me to church. I consider myself very fortunate that they did so. My belief in Christianity has provided me with a strong mental and spiritual foundation to live by. It has molded me into a better person indefinitely. For instance: Praying before every meal. It gives me time to stop and think of how great it is to be able to eat on a regular basis and feel thankful. There are so many people in this world that have to try so hard just to get a single bite of food. All of us that are better off take it for granted and don’t stop to think how good we have it.

My belief has given me an optimistic outlook on life as a whole. I try to make the best out of every situation, and think of it with a positive approach. I find myself constantly striving to better the lives of those around me.

Throughout our day we are faced with many decisions to make. Some are extremely obvious, like tying our shoes or not, while others may make us use our conscience just a little. Just deciding to do little things like opening a door for someone, or helping someone pick up papers they dropped can turn that person’s day around, which may then lead that person to do something nice for someone else. It’s a wonderful thing to know that you may have started this kind of chain reaction.

I have so many great people in my life to look up to as good examples. My little sister, Molly, is one of these people. At the unsuspecting age of 12 she was diagnosed with lymphoma (a type of cancer), and was told she had a meager 25% chance to live. That’s a three out of four chance of dying. Things weren’t looking so good, but our family continued to pray for her and after 3 long years of numerous chemotherapy treatments, and bone marrow transplants, she beat it. That is truly a miracle. She could have looked at it as God not caring about her, letting her go through so much pain and suffering. Instead she thanked Him for allowing her live through it all. Not one time throughout the whole ordeal, did I hear her question God. That is one of the best examples of having faith I’ve known.

Things such as this make me realize that there is a higher being out there that is watching out for us and cares for us. This is what pushes me to be a better person and to set a good example for others. I feel that God has given me a good life so I should try to help those that are less fortunate and may not know of my belief and hopefully they will see the good example I have created and will want to follow in it.