Watch What You Say Intolerant Man

Michael - Burr Ridge, Illinois
Themes: golden rule

“Merry Christmas!” A cheerful greeting I usually would hear during the month of December from many other people. But sadly things are not the same. “Happy Holidays” has replaced “Merry Christmas” as the common greeting heard during the Christmas season. “One Nation under God” has been protested to be omitted from the Pledge of Allegiance, and changed to “One Nation, indivisible…” Also, the Silence Act in Illinois is being taken to court by an Atheist because it offers students a chance to pray in school. What is all this about? It is about how many non-Christians are protesting everything related to Christianity. Non-Christians, whether belonging to another religion or are non-believers, believe Christians are not being tolerant of others’ religions and beliefs, and that the only way for Christians to be tolerant is to remove the name of God, and anything in relation with it, off the face of the universe. Disappointingly, Christians, complying with the complaints of others, have become more tolerant.

But to what extent should we keep altering our beliefs? Why must Christians be tolerant of others, but yet, not receive tolerance from other religious denominations or non-religious denominations? My belief is that Christians should not always be tolerant. We as Christians have yielded to these complaints so many times. We have tried to please everyone, and in doing so we have denied our Christian beliefs. As Jesus said, “But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before my Father who is in Heaven” (Matthew 10:33). As a Christian, I want to make it to Heaven. However, I am not willing to make concessions if there is nothing in return, because soon it will all be gone. For example, if a stranger or friend keeps borrowing money from you and does not pay you back, soon you will have nothing, and your friend will have everything. This is how I look at it when Christians are tolerant of other religious denominations, because we do not get anything in return.

A nation founded by Christians under Christianity, should remain as the foundation of this country and should not be altered. In many other countries, Christianity is not present or is not even of prominence due to religious persecution of beliefs. Now I do not believe in persecution of others because of conflicting beliefs; but when people in other countries suppress Christianity, then come here and try to do the same thing, I have a problem. It is more indication of sheer spite of Christianity then a belief that Christians are intolerant of others.

It is as the Golden Rule states: “treat others the way you would like to be treated.” If other non-Christian religions do not respect our beliefs, then I believe we should not concede to their protests. All we are doing is just giving in and giving in, and getting nothing in return. Soon enough, the whole foundation of Christianity will not be recognizable due to the concessions we have made to appease others. We only tinkered with it to make it more “acceptable” but have lost the true essence of Christianity.