Blessings Are Simple And Happy

Audrey - Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Themes: freedom, purpose

My bed is under a large window that faces the east. When I wake up, my glance passes over the clock which is usually followed by a groan. I then proceed to lie in bed for a while and stare out the window. I often watch the sun rise through the tree branches and warm the garden. This usually puts a smile upon my face before I hop out of bed. On cold days, rainy days, or cloudy days, that smile comes after I step out the steam filled shower I have been standing in for the past fifteen minutes.

I know that when I wake up there will be food in the pantry, I will have a ride to school, and that there is actually a school to look forward to. I believe each day is a blessing. I have all my needs provided for and not much to worry about. I have all the freedom in the world to pursue anything I wish.

I believe that happiness and simplicity are compliments. There is no need to create drama or overreact to frivilous details and minor errors. I don’t need a laugh at someone else’s expense to be happy. I believe that a cup of coffee and an open ear can solve most problems. I believe that a comfortable arm chair and a good book can cure boredom. The basic joys in life are not achieved after you ‘do’ something, but instead by the plain (or so they seem) actions you take on a daily basis. I can find happiness in the smell of soap or the heat coming off a freshly brewed cup of green tea. It doesn’t take much. Life has a natural way of picking you up when everything seems wrong. You just have to look for the basic oddities. I don’t know much, but I know how to find pieces of daily routines that give me strength.

I believe that I have a purpose here on earth. I do what I can to help others and I stay true to myself. I do not need to follow others. I pursue what I care about. I believe that I have not fufilled whatever purpose I have here yet, because I am still here.