When Music Connects With The Heart

Ashley - knoxville, Tennessee

I believe that majority of musicians do not know what a piece of music means until there whole heart is put into it and they feel the connection between themselves and the music.

This all began my senior year of high school. I was preparing along with the Bearden High Symphonic Band to perform in Nashville in front of all the band directors in Tennessee. It took playing everyday of class and afternoon practice two times a week. I even had to practice at home. All of the practices took every bit of heart and emotion that could be expressed. Although I put the feeling and heart into it I still had a hard time understanding the piece.

Time had run out and it was the day of the concert and I had still not understood the piece, American Elegy. I was beginning to worry that all the time I had put into the piece would not show. I walked into the room and sat down in my chair where I was playing at. The band had sat down already as well. The band director did a run through of all the music and I still was not able to completely feel what I wanted too. I just told myself then that it would happen and I would connect with the piece if it was suppose to be. The concert had started and we played the first couple of pieces. All of the pieces left a feeling of success and joy but I knew we still had a couple more pieces to play.

American Elegy was the next piece, the piece that I have wanted to understand. I wanted to feel the anger and sadness that the people of the columbine had felt. It was time the band director started the down beat and the piece started. A feeling of relaxation all of sudden went through me. I was surprised so I just went with it. I could not believe it but I was slowly starting to feel what the piece was meant to feel like the anger of the people and slowly went to the sadness. As the climax of the piece built of I felt a feeling of sadness. All of a sudden the climax hit and it brought tears and a break to my heart that I have never felt. Right then I felt what all true musicians felt though, a connection between me and the piece. Not only did I feel the connection but I understood the piece for what it was meant to be understood. So, this I believe that not one musician is truly a musicians until they feel the connection between a piece of music and themselves.