All In Due Time

Vickie - Lemon Grove, California

I believe in late starts.

Events in my life did not come to me as quickly or as sucessfully as I would have liked them to. I had to work three times harder than my friends or peers. All of my desires, a dream job, relationships, having children, even my education always came past the prime of my youth. All of these dreams that I longed for I felt should have started sooner…not later, never came on time.

I always felt that many people accomplished, succeeded or simply put, passed me by and because of this I felt like a complete and horrible failure. I didn’t even have what I considered good enough reasons for not carrying out things in a “timely” fashion, and the only things that I actually felt that I excelled in were in fact my many flaws and failures.

As a result, I never felt that I would truly be accepted because I had not accomplished these goals as quickly as others, and I often wondered…what was wrong with me?

One of the reasons that I felt this way was due in part to a community college counselor. This counselor made me feel that I was taking way too much time in receiving an education. Basically she told me that “I should just move on with my life,” which to put it bluntly meant quit school.

I was humiliated, embarrassed and mortified, and for the longest time I did not share any of my dreams, aspirations or my goals with anyone. The ideal of sharing my deepest thoughts and emotions made me feel ashamed all because some counselor made me believe that it was too late. I allowed that counselor to take away my ability to dream for better things.

So what did I eventually gain from this counselor’s opinion? I believe that I learned that life is a series of challenges and that the journey that I take may not necessarily be the same path as someone else. No matter how painful that experience was for me I decided that I would no longer let it define me.

I learned that hiding from the poor opinions of others is never the answer. I am proud to say that I’ve accomplished some of my goals in life…not all of my goals…I’m still chasing after many of my dreams and that’s o.k. because I am a true believer that good things comes to those who stay the course.

Finally, I have happy realtionships, a healthy child and not one but three college degrees. What more can I say? How else can I explain my success at 44 years of age? Is it possible that “it’s better late than never?” You better believe it.