Importance of human relationship

Hyun Min - Plymouth, New Hampshire

I believe that breaking a promise is the worst crime in a human relationship. About a week before the spring break started, I received an extremely surprising e-mail from an individual who I had failed to keep in touch with for about two years. The person who sent me the unexpected message was Mr. Joe Elias, who used to be my Junior Varsity Ice Hockey head coach. In his e-mail, Mr. Elias wrote that he happened to go to Korea through an exchange program and that he wanted to see me if I was going to Korea for the spring break.

When responding to his e-mail, I addressed that I planned to go to Korea also, and that I would like to have a lunch or dinner if there would not be any conflicts with Mr. Elias’ schedule. I enthusiastically promised Mr. Elias that I would introduce important parts of Korea in one day. After receiving my e-mail, I could sense Mr. Elias’ excitement through his writing; Mr. Elias gave me his cell phone number both in United States and Korea in case I needed to reach him. I gladly took his number and again, promised to call him when I arrived in Korea.

Time had passed and I had sent Mr. Elias another e-mail saying that I could meet him about two days before he would depart to the United States. However, unfortunately meeting with Mr. Elias in Korea did not happen. I totally broke my promise with him since I never even bothered to call him to arrange a place to meet him; I totally ignored my promise as if I did not even care about Mr. Elias’ effort to contact me at first hand. After March 30th, 2008 had passed – I promised to meet him on that day— I could not even send Mr. Elias an e-mail because I knew that I had committed a serious crime that completely shattered the relationship with Mr. Elias that could never be fixed.

Therefore, even at this point when I am writing this piece, I have not made any further contact with Mr. Elias. I am planning to send an e-mail to Mr. Elias in order to apologize and ask for generous forgiveness. A promise is the one that is easily made, but the one that is hard to keep. Because I have broken the promise, everything including trust or good memories in the past has probably been discarded from Mr. Elias. I have a last important message for prospective readers who will read my writing: do not easily break or even make the promise because it is very likely that you will regret throughout your entire lives.