The Glass IS Half Full

Hadar - san diego, California
Themes: hope

I believe in the power of a positive outlook on life. Throughout my whole life I have been a fairly positive person. The glass has always been half full for me. I know that this has helped me through hardships and has made my life a lot more enjoyable for those around me and myself.

Many people wonder why I have been able to stay positive, even through the worst of times. When I was thirteen and my grandfather passed away I was very sad. However, my positive outlook on life made me remember that it is the hard times in life that make a person stronger, and that everything would be alright at the end. Having this outlook astonished many of my parents’ friends and family. They kept asking how a young teenage girl could be so positive at such a difficult time. It seemed so simple to me at the time; why couldn’t every person just have a positive outlook? I strongly feel that every person can indeed, have a positive outlook. It is just a matter of wanting it and trying hard to achieve this mindset. I feel that this has come easily to me and that I have been blessed with a life and the genes to be this way.

Due to my blessing, I figure I will constantly share my outlook with others and that maybe one day they will remember my outlook and use it to their advantage. Having a positive outlook has also helped me affect others through my leadership. I have always been very involved on campus and one of the most fulfilling positions I have been in is a Residential Advisor in the residence halls. I worked mainly with incoming freshman students who had all sorts of different personalities. In particular I learned to council many students; anything from grades, to relationships, to roommate problems. I made sure to spread my positive outlook on every student that came to me, and it paid off. My residents were happy, healthy, and we got the award for “floor of the year.” The positive outlook of the young women on my floor radiated throughout the halls.

A positive outlook is not only helpful in coping with tough situations, but it is also essential for a healthy and happy lifestyle. So the next time a difficult situation arises or I just want to enjoy my day a little bit more, I just remember a positive outlook is one of the main keys to a fulfilling life and in fact, a great lifestyle choice.