A Time To Heal

Jay - Leland, Michigan

A Time To Heal

I believe I’ve make an important discovery. It’s about my ability to access the peace and serenity that exists within me. For many

years I didn’t pay much attention to that inner realm. Instead, I spent a large part of my life looking at things on the outside. And since I’ve had a long-standing interest in politics, I looked at how other systems organized themselves politically. After lots of reading, attending many classes, and some teaching, I ended up with a PhD in political science. And yet I had not looked within, at my own organization of self. I looked outward rather than inward. I didn’t pay much attention to what governs me personally.

Now I believe I’m responsible for looking inward and healing the dysfunction that lies within. I need to do my own personal work and assessment, such as healing my anger, jealousy and greed, among others. For what goes on within is mirrored back in the larger political system, demonstrated through stories of anger about what someone else said or did, jealousy over something or someone, or tales of greed and a compulsive desire always to have more.

I believe that my inner dysfunction, in concert with others, is reflected back to me in the outer political system of our government. I believe that government has taken on a life of its own. The Founding Fathers talked about setting up a republic; that’s a system of government where political power is temporarily given by the people to elected representatives. Power, therefore, is held by the people and not the government. Our government has taken on its own persona and sometimes seems to think it’s entitled to this power. Many elected officials are more interested in being re-elected and brokering deals between big businesses of one sort or another than they are in the welfare of the general public. People want something different and that’s why there’s so much talk of “change” these days. Just like myself, government needs to look within and heal. Only then will we see the true vision of a republic.

In sum, if I’m caught up in jealousy or building alliances to crush an enemy, how can I judge a government that does the same? I believe it’s possible that my internal dis-ease is reflected in the external political chaos and dysfunction that exists in our society today.

I believe my work is to heal myself. I do that by telling my stories, by reading, by learning and growing from my experiences, and by slowing down where I can. As I do all of that, I hope to heal the larger political system by creating an awareness that they, too, must look within. In this way I hope to create my authentic self and therefore create the vision of a real republic based on peace and serenity. So that together, we can create that Biblical place where all of us “would live and move and have our being.”

I’m Jay Littell and this is what I believe.