Miracle of Abbey

Taylor - Aurora, California

Miracle of Abbey

I believe in miracles –the fiction that happens before us. Because not only are we sometimes in need of them, but they always have the magic to work out the most complicated situations.

I was seven years old, and my sister just born. Already sadness and confusion peered through my eyes. I couldn’t conceive the fairness of why I was healthy and this baby I held, my sister, was already faced with one of her most complicated situations.-Hipdisplasia.

Doctors told us that because of this disease, because of the joint dislocation in her hips, they could try but it would never be guaranteed that my sister would ever walk normally. Because of this my family could not envision an ordinary life for my sister, but something more horrible in the future.

I remember the first big trip to the doctor’s office I took with my sister. Abbey was now 1, and I now 8. We were far away from home in Omaha, Nebraska.

Walking down the halls of the hospital was like making our way through a horror story. Abbey had been through so much at that point; including several surgeries and full-body casts. All things she had to go through, but didn’t really help. We weren’t sure if we wanted to put her through that all over again with up -coming surgery. But all we had was hope. So we continued.

I watched as the doctors examined her on a long mental table extending through the middle of the room. I saw fear in her eyes as she cried out to our family. Even being so young, I wanted to grab her off the table. I couldn’t stand the sight, but I forced myself to watch. Hoping it was for the best.

I sat still in the small waiting room until after Abbey’s surgery. All the while mixed emotions and thoughts ran through my mind. I contemplated on what Abbey was going through at such a young age. And I finally came to the conclusion that my sister’s experience was horrible but at the same time wonderful. Only because my family had hope in what could only seem to get better.

That surgery was not at all what we expected, but one of the most devastating times my family had ever went through. Because not only did the surgery not work, but the doctor just gave up on Abbey. So all hope was lost….but soon regained.

In the summer of 2007 we traveled to Saint Luis, Missouri. There a new doctor agreed to study and operate on my sister at the Shiengner’s hospital.

The process began all over again, as I watched, sat, waited, and hoped that the sixth surgery would be the last. I hoped that what they thought could be fixed would not turn into another cause instead of effect. This time I wished for a miracle.

After Abbey came to, I recall walking down a narrow hallway to her medical room. As I entered, she noticed, and flashed me a big smile. –One I hadn’t seen in months. One in which that said “I’m okay now.” And one in which a miracle happened.