Television Isn’t Always Rotton

Alexah - 80012, Colorado

Television Isn’t Always Rotten

Alexah Johnson

Parents say that watching television rots your brain. But it doesn’t. It can be informative, persuade, or entertaining. Romantic, scary, boring, stupid, funny or violent. That’s why I believe in television. Television occupies you when you’re bored and have nothing to do. When you’re finished with chores and homework. And when you’re sick and tired of playing video games. Yeah, so there are things that can rot your brain. Like television. But not everything you see and watch on TV rots your brain.

There are some things on TV that can inform or teach you things. One time I was watching Animal Cops Houston on Animal Planet. The show is about animal cops who drive all around Houston saving hurt and abused animals from their abusive owners. The show lasts about two hours. In the end, I learned that it is very wrong to afflict pain and mistreat animals. Because just like people, animals have feelings too.

Some TV shows can be entertaining. I have lots of memories of when I’ve been entertained by the great talking box. One time I was watching South Park on Comedy Central. Now most of the characters on South Park are really funny. I’d tell you what line from the show because it was straight up hilarious, but in South Park there is mild language, so I don’t think it would be appropriate to say that line. But Drake & Josh is pretty funny and entertaining…Sometimes anyway. I’d say Drake is pretty funny since he’s the exact opposite of Josh, doesn’t do homework, isn’t all that smart, and really good at getting girls. Plus Drake’s funnier since he doesn’t really acquirer himself into learning like Josh does. So, Drake can be very funny when he uses Josh’s smartness against him.

Now let’s get down to the TV shows that do rot your brain and screw littler kids’ dead wrong. Take Spongebob Squarepants for instance. My five year sister just loves watching Spongebob. There was one time when I over herd one of the lines from Spongebob while I was doing my homework. It went something like this,

“Spongebob, the one who always listens Spongebob. Just because someone says no, doesn’t mean they mean it.”

“But Patrick.”

“Spongebob when people say no, they mean yes!” No means yes!? What!? Now my sister thinks I mean yes when I say no! It makes me a little aggravated that people would say incorrect things on national television!! Yeah, people my age and older would know that they were just kidding, but not to the minds of five year olds!

So the next time you watch TV, think about this, is everything on TV rotting your