No Two Foundations Alike

Christina - virginia beach, Virginia

When building homes, the concrete foundation is the support system for the house. Homes would collapse without it. Families are the same way. Family molds us into who we become, teaches us to be strong, and how to love. It helps us understand that there will always be someone who cares; someone who would do anything just to make sure that smile continues to shine. Families function fairly different around the world, but they all have one thing in common, love. WWW.Dictionary.com’s definition of family is “any group of persons closely related by blood, as parents, children, uncles, aunts, and cousins.” My foundation is not limited to bloodline but rather made up of specific individuals who have impacted my life.

I recently attended my cousin Darrell’s wedding. While sitting there I was thinking, “I hardly know Darrell. In what way has he ever been close, or even given effort to get to know me?” I realized that my best friend of 5 years is more like family to me than Darrell. She comforts me when I hit rock bottom; makes me smile when the tears are pouring down my face, while eye makeup is smeared everywhere. Jacquelyn has been the true meaning of support and love. She is the strongest part of my foundation.

My boyfriend is currently deployed in Iraq, and I have spent many nights crying because none of my friends understand. Friends will try to comfort me, but they can only help but so much. Getting together only a short time before he left, meeting his parents officially was not an option. After the first month of the deployment, I received an unknown number on my caller id. Hesitating first, I finally answered to hear a soft and almost shaken voice. His mother decided to introduce herself, and to see how I was holding up. To this day, 9 months later, she continues to call about once a week to make sure I am ok, to talk about things when we are both sad; we have even cried together many times. This woman has impacted me tremendously, encouraging me to stick it out while helping me understand that even though most people in my life do not understand what I am going through, the few that do are all that matter. Without her, my house would have collapsed this last year.

At 3 am on August 10, 1996, I woke up to a strange woman yelling, “Wake up Christina! You’re a big sister again!” These words came out of the mouth of Ms. Paula, a family friend. She has done everything for our family including watching us in the middle of the night so mom to go into labor for the 5th time. She has also driven 20 miles both ways to come to the rescue when mom’s vertigo attacks hit and dad was deployed. She calms us down and tells us everything will be ok. She provides the last pieces of the foundation: security, hope, and faith.