A Ring of Lessons

Amanda - Virginia Beach, Virginia

A Ring of Lessons

I believe in learning lessons. When I was seven years old, my parents gave me a fourteen carat gold sapphire ring that is emerald cut with three diamonds on each side. At such a young age I never realized that this ring was given to me for a purpose, that purpose was to teach me lessons. Looking back on the journey that my ring and I have taken and the lessons it has taught me throughout my life thus far, I realize how important it is to learn lessons.

The day my parents gave me this ring was the start of my first lesson in responsibility. As the ring was being placed on my right hand ring finger, my parents told me that they were trusting me. They were trusting me to be responsible and they were trusting me not to lose it. I remember being scared and excited all at the same time and hoping that I would never let my parents down. The first and only time I almost lost my ring forever was my freshmen year of college. I was in the shower and the bubbly soap suds caused the ring to slip right off of my finger. Needless to say when I realized it was missing, I was freaking out and frantically searching for it all over the place. Now I am twenty-two years old and I am still in possession of this precious gift given to me so long ago.

The second lesson this ring has taught me is that although things fall apart they can be put back together. The shank in my ring at one point was worn so thin that I had to replace it. Just like my ring that had fallen apart and needed rebuilding, I too have had moments where I have fallen apart and needed to build myself back up. At the beginning of my freshmen year of college, I had to have the shank replaced on my ring. Around the same time I had a relationship that was wearing thin. The guy I had been dating since my junior year of high school decided we needed to take a break. We broke up because my boyfriend was having a hard time with the long distance relationship we were in, since we both went away to separate schools. It was the worst time of my life, but we ended up getting back together and are now engaged to be married. Today there are dings, and scratches on my ring that are like the heartbreaks, mistakes, and hard times that I have been through.

Throughout the past fifteen years there have been many lessons I have learned through my little sapphire and diamond ring that will stay with me forever. I plan on passing it onto my children in hopes that they to will learn the same lessons. The lessons this ring has taught me are very valuable to me just like the ring is priceless to me. Not only do I look at this ring today and reflect back on the journey of my life thus far, but I have also learned many valuable lessons that have helped shape me to be the person I am today. Lessons help shape people to be who they are, which is why I believe in learning them.