Never Give Up

Heath - Circleville, Ohio

I believe in never giving up for many reasons. Growing up, I looked up to my older brother Zack as an idol. Since I was six years old, I have been playing soccer. My older brother is four years older than me and he plays soccer too. Watching my brother made me believe that if he could do it then I could do it as well. For example, in high school, Zack had many records and I always wanted to beat him. When I started high school soccer, my first year wasn’t so great. I didn’t do as well as I wanted to. Zack would tease me and say “I thought you were going to beat my records.” This made me want to beat him even more so I wasn’t going to give up. In my later years in high school, I finally got it together and I beat not just one of his records but all of them.

After high school, I decided that I was going to go to college at Muskingum. Also, I wanted to play soccer. As a student, my brother played for Muskingum too but by the time I got there, he had already graduated. This year, he decided to be one of the assistant coaches at Muskingum. I knew if I played like I did in high school then I would be successful. I thought high school soccer was hard but college was even more difficult. No more being the star player. Everyone was just about equal, even the teams we played.

Every game we played this year was very close but the one I remember most was the game at Bethany College. On the way to the game, the coach told us it wasn’t going to be an easy game; so, we had to get focused. When we got there, we found out that we forgot to pack our game socks. The coaches were freaking out but we asked the other team if they had any extras. We had to wear green socks. Finally, the game started. Right off the bat, Bethany scored a goal. Everyone was putting their heads down thinking we were going to lose. The whole rest of the first half, we played terribly and I didn’t think we would come back. At half time, coach pulled us to the side and gave us a speech to pump us up. As I was getting ready to go back onto the field, my brother told me to pick it up and gave me advice about what I should do. In the second half, I ended up scoring and it got everyone pumped up to try to score another. The game ended in a tie so we had to go into overtime. We scored the winning goal off of a corner kick. I believe that if you think you can do something then you will.