Family Matters

Alyson - New Philadelphia, Ohio
Themes: change, death, family

Ever have a bad day where nobody would listen or just felt like you were alone? I believe this is what family is for. Never making you feel deserted or alone with nobody to talk to. Always being there to listen no matter what has to be said. Family, to me, means people who are honest, loving, respectful, and proud for whatever you do. I believe family should come first at everything. Through good and bad times they should always be there for each other. The things my family does for me, talking to me through a hard problem or just being there in time of need, gets me to open up. Family is the most important value in my life.

About five years ago, my grandfather passed away. During this time my parents were on vacation in Hawaii and my sister and I were staying with my grandparents. It was a Sunday night and I had just gone to bed when the EMT’s awakened me taking my grandpa to the hospital; he had just had a heart attack. I was in shock from this terrible experience. I did not find out until later that he had already gone.

My sister and I went to stay with my aunt. This gave my grandma time to spend with my grandpa. The next day I was told the awful news of my grandpa passing away. Since my parents were in Hawaii, the whole family pitched in to fly them back home quickly. Within the next couple of days everything started getting back to normal. The family started functioning better and was getting back to their normal routines. It was then that I started to realize how much my family meant to me.

I know that everyone has to go through a death in the family, but I never thought that mine would be like that. Experiencing a death this way led me to believe that you always need to be there for your family. You never know when something is going to happen. This also made me believe that you always need to show family members how much they mean to you and how big of an impact they have on your life. I was never that close to my grandpa because he always seemed closer to the boys in the family. Now that he is gone, I look back and wish I had been closer to him and told him how much I appreciated the things he did for me.

I have had some rough times in life, some worse than others, but they only made me stronger. My grandpa’s death is a reason why I believe how I do about family. I have a different way of looking at things than before this tragedy happened. I believe no matter what, family should always come first, and you need to be there for each other whether its through good times or bad!