Living Life To the Fullest

Josh - Lake Oswego, Oregon
Themes: carpe diem

“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.”

-James Dean

I think everyone should live by this immense statement. People rarely think about their future. They don’t realize their potential and what they have the talent to do. Every person has a unique talent that has the use for good things, but dreaming as if we will never die stands as the only way for our dreams to come true.

Excessively often, people wake up and don’t care about their lives or what happens later that day because they think that it will all be made better tomorrow. We might not have a tomorrow but still, we take life for granted.

I don’t think life is short; though some people’s lives end quickly, it is still the longest thing we ever do. I think that life is precious, and that every minute of every day should be lived to the fullest. Examples of this belief can be found all over the world. In many parts of Africa, mainly Uganda, Zambia, Mali, Angola and Madagascar, an incurable disease, such as Malaria or HIV, condemns children, who have only gotten to see a small portion of life, to death. They have not received a full life to live, but a few years, months, or even days to enjoy the life they have.

In fifth grade, my band had recently formed. Three ten-year-olds with great musical talent and dreams of someday becoming a famous rock band. But every big thing starts small. I remember our first gig and being extremely nervous to perform, even though most the crowd either lived with us or went to school with us. We all waddled tensely onto the stage, wanting it to open up and swallow us before we made complete fools of ourselves. I held my drumsticks in my sweaty hands and the guitar player stood mechanically, scared to death that a string would break in the middle of a song. We could have blown the whole thing and said, “Forget this!” but we took the chance. It taught us to live life to the fullest and take those types of risks instead of sitting around and wait for something to happen by itself. We still haven’t became famous rock-stars, but we remember to dream big, because you never know what can happen.

A tragic thing happened in my family in sixth grade. A great uncle and second cousin had been on a road trip and got in a wreck, ending their lives unexpectedly. The victims of the wreck had been close to me. I learned to not take life for granted, because you never know when your day to die will come.

I’ve witnessed and experienced many things that continually remind me to dream big and live to the fullest. I don’t believe life is short; it is the longest thing we ever do. I believe that life is precious, and that every minute of every day should be lived to the fullest.