Music for all Ages

Ashley - 46151, Indiana

Music for all Ages

I believe that all ages can be connected through music. One of the constant characteristics throughout history has been music. Every generation in every culture has used some type of music to tell a story, for entertainment, or just for something to pass the time. I never gave particular notice to music until I joined the middle school band playing the saxophone. As I learned how to play music I grew to appreciate it more than I ever had before. We were playing music from the sixties through today, from Credence Clearwater Revival to Baha Men. I began to want to listen to music all the time, although I only listened to popular music. I quit the band after only three years but my love for music still grew. I began to listen to more genres of music and found that there were very few that I did not like. Then I began to listen to music from different time periods. I was listening to my parents’ music, even my grandparents’ music. I began to like the music of Johnny Cash, The Eagles, and Metallica. I quit caring about what was popular and listened to what ever music I genuinely liked. I still listened to new music, but I quit caring about when the song came out, I cared more about what the song was about.

Although my new interest in music gave me a connection with my family, I never realized how it could unite me with so many more people. I realized this when a friend and I went to a Green Day concert when I was in the tenth grade. The woman in the seat next to us looked to be about sixty years old. When we were walking up to our seats we kind of joked about her being at the concert because she was so much older than us. We said that she should be at home watching old Elvis movies in bed like our grandparents were, not sitting at a Green Day concert. When we sat down we began talking to the woman next to us and she ended up being a very nice lady. When we sat down she asked us if we drank beer. We told her that we were only sixteen years old, so she asked us again if we drank beer. We kept talking to her and she told us she did not know the opening band, Jimmy Eat World, so we talked about them and some of the other bands that we listen to. She liked Green Day very much and was just as excited to be at the concert as we were.

We waited for the concert to begin and finally the opening melody began to play. The lady’s face lit up just as much as ours did. The music began to carry through the stadium. The thud of the music made it seem like we all shared a same single heartbeat. As I sat and enjoyed the concert, I watched all the kids my age in the mosh pit in front of the stage and realized that this woman sitting next to me was just as happy to be here as those kids jumping around and acting crazy. There were people at that concert from many different generations; there were people older than me and people younger than me and we were all enjoying the concert equally. This one band had brought all these people together and they were just doing what they love. I realized the power of music that night and I have never forgotten that lesson. Every time a song comes on the radio that I do not know I give it a minute before I change the station because I never know, that could be my new favorite song.