Slow down and grill

David - Norfolk/VA/23508
Themes: pleasure

I believe in grilling. Sitting down outside, enjoying the day, and eating some good food is one of the best things to do. It gives you a while to slow down and tune into the world around you. For an hour or two you are living in the moment, taking in everything around you while the meal sizzles on the grill. For those moments, you can stop being a zombie running around in the daily routine. Never paying attention to what is around you, blasting the I-pod wherever you go, and rushing everywhere makes you miss a lot of life.

On Old Dominion’s campus, hundreds of students are seen walking around with their music blasting in their headphones. This is ok, but unfortunately it usually means that they are not paying any attention to the environment around them. This is what that zombie is, someone walking around mindlessly. Never experiencing the moment, these people are only focused on getting to where they are going. There is a cure however, experiencing the grilling moment.

When one experiences the grilling moment, they will be forced to take their time. There is no rushing the grill. Prepping the food, starting the coals, cooking the food, and even eating the meal all take time. None of these steps can be hurried; grilling is a slow paced activity. Thus, grillers are forced to slow down, and while they do this, they might as well relax for a bit. Maybe this is the time they will enjoy that backyard that they’ve worked on so hard. Or possibly, they might notice how nice the weather that day is. Others still may feel something they haven’t felt since their childhood, the appreciation of being outside.

Another great aspect of grilling is that it brings people together. It is one of those activities where the mindset is, the more the merrier. In the summertime, friends and family flock to each other’s houses to experience this tradition. While they are there they are almost never rude to each other, why would they be? What kind of person is rude to a family member, or a close friend?

The grilling experience can be a great help to society today. What would life be like if it was lived like everyone was at a barbeque? It would be much more relaxed. People would finally learn to take their time, and treat each other a little better. Finally the world would learn to experience the moment more. To take a look at what is around them, and not to be so intent on getting where they were going. So in layman’s terms, if everyone lived with the attitude they had at a barbeque, the world would be a much better place.