Everything Happens For A Reason

Shelby - Clinton, Iowa

So many things have happened to me, and I wouldn’t call them easy. These things have shown me my priorities in life, number one being my family. This is why I believe that everything happens for a reason……..

My parents divorced when I was seven years old. We lived with my mom. She married an Englishman and decided to move to Britain with him. My dad fought for custody in court. My siblings and I weren’t there, so we don’t know why the judge decided the way he or she did, but he or she decided that we had to stay in the U.S. When I was ten, my mom moved to Britain. I didn’t understand what was really happening then or even why. I don’t get to see my mom or siblings very often. It makes spending time with them more special. You don’t realize the importance of family until it’s too late.

I think that maybe it happened to me, so I would become a better person. It has made me think about how much I love and care for my family. I have become more understanding, very compassionate, responsible, and mature. It has affected my brother, sister, and me in so many ways. I don’t like to talk about what happened with my mom moving over there or things like this because it hurts too much. It’s easier to write it on paper. I keep so much bottled up inside. I don’t like having to go through it over and over again.

I believe everything happens for a reason. People make choices that you can’t do anything about, but it is your decision on what you decide to do about it. I can’t change the past, but I can decide on how I want to lead my future.