Mother-Daughter Bonding

Desiree - Deltona, Florida

I believe in mother-daughter bonding. Even though I struggle with having a mother and daughter relationship, I still wish I could have a good relationship with a person who would stand by me as my best friend.

It all started when I was only seven years old. An extremely close bond with my mom had happened. There would never be a day without my mom. I could remember looking in the mirror and putting on some lipstick to look just like mommy. We would do things that girls would do, but the one thing we never did was talk. We would never talk about our feelings with one another and that made me sad because I wanted to share a really close relationship with her. Then she started to work late at her business and I started to miss her even more. I would look out the window waiting for her car to pull up in the drive way. I would also call her at a certain time every night just to say, “Good Night.” As years went by we grew apart. Right now we are very distant from each other and all I could ever dream is having a close relationship with my mom.

No relationship is quite as primal as the one between a mother and her daughter. “It’s the original relationship, and it’s also a relationship that has been sentimentalized but not honored,” says Lee Sharkey, Ph.D., who directs the Women’s Studies program at the University of Maine at Farmington, where she teaches a popular course in mother-daughter relationships.

A daughter always needs advice from her mother and all I could remember is the negative comments. I needed a mother who could be right there beside me in life.

A mother-daughter bond is something so special and I know it takes both of them to make it happen. I believe a mother should be there for her daughter for everything. One day I will be a mother and I would only want best for her.

I believe in a mother-daughter bond because I want and need a mother daughter relationship.