I believe in not doing homework on Saturday nights

Kevin - Burr Ridge, Illinois
Themes: pleasure, work

I Believe in Not Doing Homework on Saturday Nights

I believe in not doing homework on Saturday nights. I believe in not revolving my entire life around a mark on a paper. I believe there are more important things to revolve around.

From preschool on, our lives are focused on absorbing lectures and gunning for the next highest grade. While learning the skills and techniques offered by our school’s teachers, there are many other things we must develop throughout these years, and they must be given greater or equal effort. To my own pleasure, throughout these past 17 years of my life, not only have I learned the Pythagorean Theorem and why a Periodic Table is set up as it is, but also I have learned how to comfort a friend and how to be self-sufficient. These last two lessons were not taught in any class or given written exams upon, but they were learned by going through experiences with my friends and family. While any teenager would rather spend time with his or her friends than doing school work, it is very important to balance these two aspects. Neither extreme is healthy and I am just as proud of learning about the history of our country as I am for upholding friendships. Right now, I look at people who will not go out with friends on a Saturday night because of homework, or any other similar circumstance, and I wonder what they are really trading off. Is it just a boring night out wasting money traded for accomplishing a long term paper? Or is it focusing too much on one aspect of their lives? During high school I think it is important to realize what I am capable of, academically and, even more so, socially. One of the most beautiful things about both school and friendships is that I am still learning in both, and plan to continue my “education” in both of these for many years to come. High school is a time of academic and social development and should be treated as so, not one that is entirely focused on either aspect. I believe this balance is different for each person, and they must find the one that works for them and helps them be them grown the most. If forced to choose between a deadline for an assignment and going to help a friend, I would choose helping a friend because I have found that is what I value more right now.

I believe that everybody must find a balance between learning academically and learning socially. This balance is different for each person. Throughout my high school career I have found mine to be focused on “social” education because that is what works for me. It is coming to this conclusion, of which one I will prioritize over the other, which has been another thing which I have learned.