I’m Happy about being Optimistic

Elizabeth - Burr Ridge, Illinois

Depression, anxiety, anger, and frustration. Personally, I do not take pleasure in expressing these emotions and neither does anyone I know. So how can one avert these feelings? It’s so simple: think happy thoughts. It can be tough at times, but that is why I believe in optimism. Optimism is about looking on the bright side and searching for opportunities to be happy. Some may call it naïve, but I haven’t had any problems so far.

Let’s say it is raining outside and I have to walk to school. Once I get there, I slip and fall, causing my books to fly everywhere and all of my homework gets wet. Most people would be left huffing and puffing after this series of unfortunate events, but optimists can get up and just hope their day gets better. That hope is all I need to be happy. You only live once, so why waste it getting angry about small predicaments when you can enjoy life the way it is?

There are three people who have taught me to be optimistic: my brother, my sister, and God. My brother is the one who set an example for me. I have never seen him cry after things were not working out the way he wanted. No matter what happens, he is always trying. I can only hope to have half as much perseverance as my brother does, which comes from his optimism. He doesn’t want to waste a minute because he knows that every second lost, is a second further from his dreams.

Thinking back, I realize that my sister has forced me to maintain a positive attitude. Though I can’t always be a perfect older sister, I try because I want to make sure my sister grows up to be a good person, especially since we are so close. When I had left for a three week camp one summer, my sister was the first to memorize my room’s phone number because she called me twice each day. If I could just be a little more energetic, a little more forgiving, a little more grateful, then maybe, just maybe, she could be that way too.

My faith contributes a lot to my optimism because I do believe that someone is out there, watching over me, making sure I am safe. I have been blessed with a strong family and good health, so I know that if I am struggling, there is someone I can always turn to. I know that there are others who have not been as fortunate, so I think it is unfair if I complain of a bad hair day when there are others who deserve God’s attention more than I do.

My goal is to spread optimism to others, so that everyone can live a happier life. Then maybe that optimism can spread ever further to mold strong relationships and build hope. With those two things, life gets a lot easier to breeze through. No worries, just be optimistic.