The Drive for Excellence

Brad - burr ridge, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

Throughout my entire life, I have always tried to obtain success. I have never been a superstar athlete like a lot of my friends, but I have always been the smartest. Most people think that school comes easy to me, including the people that are closest to me—my parents. However, what they do not see is that I am like a duck on the pond, even though all appears to flow smoothly, it is through persistence and hard work that I have been able to obtain success.

My dad has always said to me, “It doesn’t matter how talented you are, it’s you’re drive that can take you farther than the rest.” The concept of “drive” is hard to explain on paper, but I feel drive is best conveyed as the catalyst for and the guiding force of one’s actions—it is what motivates a person to immigrate to a new country from their homeland in search of a better life—it is what causes a man to put everything he has ever known on the line in order to start his own business. Drive is what makes a man successful.

My parents grew up in small towns in southern Illinois and Missouri, and they have never had anything handed to them on a silver platter. My dad was the youngest of seven and his father died when he was eighteen, thus he chose to stay near his mom and attend a community college. Though starting from humble beginnings, he has propelled himself in the business world and has provided my brother and me with everything we have ever needed. Although I have always wished to live a life like the famous you see on television, like the rich on MTV’s Cribs and VH1’s The Fabulous Life Of…; I have realized nothing is going to be handed to me, and I am going to have to work for what I want.

Therefore, it is the drive that I have to become successful that has made me apply myself so studiously to academics. Like athletes train for the big game, I train myself everyday for school. I always go the extra mile to get a homework assignment done right, or stay up an hour later to get the test material down. Even on those Sunday nights, when it would seem so much easier to put off an assignment, I make sure to always have it done. The classroom is my field, and it is where I want to win. I see that so many of my peers lack the motivation to fully apply themselves, and it is my drive that will make me excellent. When it really comes down to it, I always get the job done.