Today in America’s Post Industrial Society

John - H-Tizzle, West Virginia

If we look back to our days in elementary school, memories of the bully is common t. Just picturing the bully picking on the smaller kids who were unable to defend their selves was sad and quite frankly should not have taken place. Like this elementary school scenario, The United States economy also contains an enormous bully that is relentless in crushing its competitors in the retail industry. Like the smaller kids in elementary school, small time businesses that once flourished and populate our very own downtown and various shopping districts couldn’t even compete with the muscle, convenience, and durability of the Wal-Mart empire. After witnessing smaller businesses such as Big Bear and Ames struggle and eventually close I have tried my best to avoid Wal-Mart.

I cannot find it in my heart to contribute to this enormous chain store. I personally find that shopping is a choice and we should be entitled to many choices. As a member of this economy, I believe it is my civic duty to attempt to dry out the already saturated market. If we all shopped at Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart only, our capitalist pool of retail choices would dry up into a mere puddle consisting of one choice and only a few people profiting from this monopoly.

The public should not give in and contribute to the already wealthiest people in America. A true capitalist nation should fuel many businesses not just one in specific chain of stores. Wealth should be somewhat disbursed so that not one business can control the U.S. economy. I believe that we are saturating our own market by metaphorically putting all of our eggs in one basket. I feel that we are yanking the table cloth right out from under our meal ticket if we continue to support Wal-Mart.

When I go downtown and see all of the small shops I see a common sight of empty and unused space. At one time, a multitude of people would fill the downtown district in search of domestic merchandise made here in the United States, now growing numbers flock to the edge of the city to seek out cheaply constructed Chinese products that add to the subtraction of jobs here in the country. As a country we are weakening our muscle when we take away jobs that are created in the United States. We are constantly relying more and more on foreign countries and the numbers of imports from China are larger than ever. This Is why I believe that Wal-Mart is destroying our economy and inevitably combining the segregated but interactive economy into one giant global economy in which even a slightest ripple in the global economy will produce a drastic effect to everyone involved in planet Earth.